Sunday, May 31, 2009

Billy Ray Brigance

Billy Ray Brigance, 60, of Pocola, OK passed away Thursday, May 28, 2009 in Fort Smith, AR. Bill was born December 25, 1948 in Spiro, OK to Ernest & Wanda (Fry) Brigance. Coach Brigance spent 30 years as a teacher and loved coaching his players. His parents preceded him in death as well as 2 sisters, Sharon Brigance & Deborah Brigance. Survivors include his son - William Brigance of Pocola, OK; 2 daughters, Audra Brigance of Pocola, OK, Randa Grant of Poteau, OK, 2 grandchildren, Desmond Brigance, Izaiah Davis; 3 brothers Jerry Don Brigance of Poteau, OK, Ernie Brigance of Heavener, OK and Ronnie Brigance; other relatives & loved ones; many beloved friends. Services: 10 am, Tuesday, June 2, 2009 at Evans Memorial Chapel in Pocola, OK with the Rev. Bryan Vandever officiating. Interment in New Hope Cemetery, Spiro, OK. Pallbearers wlil be John Long, Larry Callaway, Ollie Gardner, John Layva, Billy Kimmons, Aron Barnes, Keith Haynes, & Chad Oliver.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

I taught with Bill for many years at Cameron School and underneath all his gruffness was a big heart. You could tell how much he loved his children by the way he talked about them. His eyes would light up. He also was one of the best English Teachers my son's ever had. They aced their English classes in college because Mr. Brigance taught them how to write.
Billy, Andra and Randi, I am so sorry for your loss.
Durene French Sampson

Janet (ChooChoo)Box said...

I have known Bill for many years. Rough on the outside, but tender on the in. You will be missed, my friend.

Janet(ChooChoo)Box

JAMIE TUCK said...

MR. BRIGANCE WAS ONE OF A KIND. HE WOULD DO ANYTHING TO HELP ANYONE. HE LOVED TO COACH HIS BASEBALL BOYS, AND HE LOVED TO MAKE ENGLISH HARD ON US...LOL
HE WILL BE MISSED BY MANY.
BILLY STAY STRONG!
LOVE YA, JAMIE

June Ragle said...

Even though my family and I left Spiro many years ago, I never forgot him. His cousin Debbie Woods was, and still is, my best friend....and Billy Ray had a car! What great memories. He was always like a big brother to me & Deb. Very protective and kind. He will be sorely missed.

Billy, Andra and Randi, everything is jumbled right now and I know your hearts ache but one day you'll be able to look back and your hearts (and faces) are going to smile BECAUSE he was in your life.

God Bless you all,
June Ragle
Woodstock, GA

Joe and Brett Davis said...

Bill was a loyal friend and wonderful official and I had 6 great years working with him. His sense of humor and easy going style made him a joy to be around and I and my son, Brett, will miss him very much. His passing will leave a big void in the Eastern Oklahoma sporting world. Rest in peace, Bill.

Anonymous said...

I have known Bill for many years from the softball fields - kind of grew up with him. My mom Agnes, Bill & Ollie have been involved in softball for years and good friends as well. Bill was much loved by all who knew him as a kind & gentle man - my daughter says he is "the sweetest man" she knew. My entire family sends its condolences. May Bill rest in peace! Cindy, Philip, Sabrina & Stefan Savage, Charleston, AR.