Monday, January 17, 2022

Billy Jack Pierce

 

Billy Jack Pierce passed away Saturday, January 15, at the age of 94.  He was born in Ft. Smith, AR to Myrtle Iva (Beaty) and Edwin Jameson Pierce on October 15, 1927.  Bill graduated from Ft Smith High School in 1944.  He served in the US Coast Guard.  He attended the University of Arkansas where he played Trombone for the Marching Razorbacks.  He completed his training at the Spartan School of Aeronautics and was employed by the US Weather Bureau as a meteorologist in Lubbock, TX. 

          He married Patricia Louise Pettigrew on December 10, 1947. He served as a bookkeeper for Arkansas Freight Lines (now ABF).  In 1955 he bought interest in Turman Buick Co. which became Turman- Pierce.  His affiliation as a Goodyear dealer, also gave him the opportunity to travel globally.  He opened Pierce Tire Center in 1987. Bill was very active in the Poteau Community.   He was past president of the Chamber of Commerce as well as the Kiwanis Club.  He was a Shriner and a member of United Commercial Travelers in Fort Smith. He was an initial Stockholder of Poteau State Bank. Bill was a long-time member of the First Baptist Church in Poteau.  Among his bigger interests were traveling and following the Razorbacks.  He and his wife we charter members of the Arkansas Roadhogs.  He loved taking his family to Grand Cayman for family retreats and attended Rotary Club when he was there.  He considered Grand Cayman as his ‘home away from home’.

          Bill leaves three children, Linda Winton (Gary) of Lake Tenkiller, OK, Jean-Anne Shankle, Bill C. Pierce (Brenda) all of Poteau; 3 grandchildren, Lance Owen of Evergreen, CO, Steve Winton (Carrie) of St. Louis, MO and Katie Stubbs (Zach) of McAlester, OK; 3 great grandchildren; other relatives, loved ones and friends.

Bill was preceded in death by his wife, Louise; his parents, and a sister, Mae Pierce Sias of DeLand, FL.

          Due to Covid risks, there will be a private family service.

          Please feel free to sign the book at the funeral home or leave messages of condolence on the funeral home website.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Such a sweet man! His smile could brighten anyone's day. I only knew Mr. Pierce for a short time but, it was such an honor to know him and his family! Such an amazing family! You will all be in my thoughts and prayers!

Unknown said...

So sorry for your loss. May the Lord surround you with comfort and peace.he was such a great man!

Unknown said...

I was sorry to hear of the passing of Bill Pierce. He was a man of integrity and a friend to everyone. I didn't make it to the funeral home to see him and to sign the memorial book. My thoughts and prayers are with all the family.

Holly Sias Rubich said...

I have so many wonderful memories of Uncle Bill. One of them was going to church with him. I was 6 yrs old and had just gotten new black patent leather shoes with heels! I was so excited to look grown up like Linda Kaye and Jean Anne...until my mother said I had to wear them with the strap and buckle on. Well that took the wind out of my sails. Grown-up ladies don't wear them with a strap. After pouting and sniveling awhile, I heard my mother change her mind on this matter. WHAT? My mother NEVER changes her mind on these types of things. But on that day, she did...after Uncle Bill put in a word for me. And oh what a GRAND DAY it WAS!!

Shelly Trowbridge said...

So sorry to hear about Mr. Pierce! Your family is in my prayers!

Debbie Bartlett said...

Mr. and Mrs. Pierce were two of the loveliest people I've ever known. I didn't see them often, but loved their visits to our office in Fort Smith. They complemented each other so well. They never left without leaving behind words of kindness that always made my day. Prayers for their family members for the loss of obviously great parents. Thank you, Lord, for giving me the opportunity to spend even a small amount of time with them. Debbie Bartlett