Monday, February 14, 2011

Norma June Smith

Norma June Smith was born March 11, 1926, in Lovell, OK to H. C. and Ruby (Elrod) Wehrenberg. She passed away on February 13, 2011, at home in Poteau, OK. Norma Smith was retired from 30 years of teaching, with 25 of those years at Poteau High School. She taught English, Literature, Speech, and Drama. She sponsored, supervised, and directed students in theatrical productions, speech and debate contests, and mock trial contests, often advancing to area and state competitions. She was awarded Teacher of the Year and a Governor’s Award for Excellence in Teaching. Norma was active in several organizations, including the Good Times Community Theatre League which she founded, Seniors Only where she served as a hostess for several trips, AARP, LeFlore County and Oklahoma Retired Teachers organizations, Delta Kappa Gamma, Friends of the Library, and the Red Cross. Her volunteer work for the Red Cross has been both local and statewide when necessary. In all of these organizations, she held leadership positions and volunteered on numerous committees. She delivered Meals on Wheels and was the camp secretary for Modern Woodmen for many years. A member of the First Presbyterian Church, she served as an Elder, a Commissioned Lay Preacher, Hunger Action Enabler, and was honored with a Lifetime membership in the Presbyterian Women. She served as a delegate to the Presbyterian General Assembly and the Presbyterian International Women’s Gatherings. Through the Methodist Volunteers in Mission, Norma traveled to Alaska and to Mexico to teach Bible School and work on renovation projects in these areas. Norma is survived by five daughters and their husbands, Becky and Bill Harned, Bethany, OK, Sharon and George Crawford, Muskogee, OK, Rosemary and Carl Underwood, Charleston, AR, Beth and Richard Peck, Poteau, OK, and Shera and Jim Garber, DeQuincy, LA; grandchildren Bill Harned Jr.(Paula), Kim Cox (Aaron), Brian Crawford (Crystal), Clint Crawford, Amber Vreeland (Travis), Zachary Underwood (Kerry), Joshua Underwood (Jessica), Tyler Underwood, Amanda Townley (Michael), Steve Peck (Regina), Lauren Peck, Preston Jowers, Summer Sea, Tammy Thompson (Koley), and Brandon Sea (Ashley); 13 great-grandchildren; sister Shirley Deter, Guthrie, OK; extended family and many friends. Services are under the direction of Evans-Miller Funeral Home with Rev. Zachary Underwood and Brother George Crawford officiating. A memorial service will be held on Wednesday, February 16 at 10 a.m. at Evans Miller Funeral Home Chapel. In lieu of flowers, memorials may be contributed to The Good Times Community Theatre League, 207 S. McKenna Poteau, OK 74953.

11 comments:

Joe Harwell, Author/Publisher said...

The impact this wonderful lady had on my life cannot be measured. She coached, directed, scolded, encouraged, defended, and cared for me as few other people ever have. My deepest sympathy to her family. Please know you have reason to celebrate a life fully lived. Joe Harwell, Author/Publisher

Cecil Hancock said...

Norma Smith was a molder of young lives. During our years at Poteau High School, it seemed she could always sense when a student was struggling and always had the perfect words to make it better. For those of us who were blessed to to know her well even after Graduation, she was our mentor. My life was changed in so many ways because of her. During my own teaching years, I would often think, I wonder how Mrs. Smith would handle this? To the family, I say, you have my deepest sympathy.She was a living example to all who knew her.

Cecil Hancock, Jr.
525 E. Lucy
Sallisaw, Oklahoma 74955

Regina taylor said...

Ms. Smith was one of my very favorite teachers...Great Teacher Great Lady, she will be missed...Regina Taylor Poteau High School Class of 1979

Rick Ballard said...

My heart goes out to the extended Smith family in this time of loss. Mrs. Smith was a great influence in my life and was able to turn my "class clown" shenanigans into productive humor and character development. I loved being in her school plays. She had a "thundering velvet hand", to quote one song writer, in her approach to teaching and it remained effective as the generations changed. She will be soarly missed.

Rick Ballard, Class of '72

Wanda Sue Wyatt said...

This wonderful lady had an impact on many lives. That is what a teacher should do. She is one of the teachers that I remember most from my High School years. She will be missed. My prayers go out to her family, many of the daughters I went to school with, and all that she leaves behind. She is with the LORD.

Joyce Mooneyham House said...

I am saddened to hear of the passing of Mrs. Smith. Although she was my teacher for several classes, I most enjoyed her being my speech instructor and being a part of her Thespian group. I still remember practices for "Our Town" and "Rally 'Round the Flag" - all of the extra time she put in for us! She made a huge impression on me and taught me more than what was in our textbooks. My love and prayers go to all of you. Joyce Mooneyham House

Unknown said...

Norma had a huge capacity for sharing and understanding, acting almost as a second Mom to me in my sometimes-confused high school years--and to many others I suspect. She (and her daughters) certainly had strong and positve effects on my life in that formative period.

Thinking of Norma brings back many wonderful memories in which she played an important role (not the least including "Oklahoma" and "The Mouse that Roared").

My sympathy to her family and to the community of Poteau--a poorer place without her.

- Tom Parham, Scientist/Engineer

Dee Wilson said...

I met Norma about 14 years ago, when I was new to Red Cross. She was a wonderful, witty, fun, dedicated volunteer. I had the priviledge of working a few operations with her. She was outstanding as a shelter worker. She had a warm, gracious spirit that endeared her to all. She was well respected, ideal role model as a volunteer. She will be greatly missed by our chapter and all of her Red Cross family. Sincerest sympathies to her family and friends.

Dee Wilson
Southeastern Oklahoma Chapter
Board Chair

Kathy Fesperman said...

What an amazing women. Norma Smith is among my favorite high school teachers. She had a great influence on my life. She taught me to be myself, to set goals and to do what I needed to in order to acheive them. She was very wise and imparted wisdom to all who would embrace it. May I express my sympathy to her family whom she loved dearly. I will miss her.

Heather Vickers said...

I will forever miss my sweet former patient and my dear friend Norma. She became a very dear friend to me in the short time that I got to know her. I think she helped me more than I was ever able to help her. My heart goes out to all of her family and all her wonderful daughters. Please know that I am here for you anytime you need anything and I only hope that myself and my girls can have the beautiful life together that you all had!

Tambo said...

Mrs. Smith was my favorite teacher in high school. I had her for several classes and as a member of the Thespian Troup, she directed me in several high school plays. She was always was there for me with assistance and words of encouragement. She left an impression on my life that will always stay with me. I think of her when I wonder back in time to those days at Poteau High School.

To her family, please know that Mrs. Smith was truly a special person who touched many lives. My thoughts and prayers are with you during this difficult time.

Tammy (Taylor) Yeargan
Class of 1978
Little Rock, Arkansas