Friday, August 16, 2019

Christine Harris


Faye “Christine” Harris, 93, of Poteau, OK passed away Friday, August 16, 2019 in Poteau, OK.  Christine was born September 24, 1925 in Howe, OK to Tony & Audie (Barnhill) Walker.

Christine taught school for 29 years.  She loved teaching & loved her students.  Christine loved to help others; cooking for the Choctaw Community Center for the senior citizens and if there was something she could bake a pie for, whether it was a fundraiser, friend of just for Sunday dinner, she would. Christine loved her friends, family and most of all God.  She was a member of the Poteau First United Methodist Church for over 75 years.  She was preceded in death by her parents; husband of 60 years, Sam Harris; one son, Mark; two daughters, Saundra & Sara; four brothers, Harrell, Hugo, BT & Kenneth Walker; three sisters, Topsy LeGrand, Thelma Horn & Pauline Hill.

          Survivors include her sons & daughters in law, Hank & Barbara Harris, Sam & Nina Harris of Poteau, OK; grandchildren, Sondra Harris and Matt Harris; brother & sister in law, Joe & Billy Jean Walker of Waynesville, MO; other relatives, loved ones and friends.

          Services will be 10 am, Monday, August 19, 2019 at the First United Methodist Church in Poteau, OK with Jim Perkin & Jim Cook officiating.  Interment will follow at Oakland Cemetery.  Pallbearers will be David Robertson, Barry Hughes, John Spencer, Ronnie Barber, Kip Klutts and Doug Walker.   Honorary pallbearers will be Charles Dean Horn, John Reed, Luke Smith and Gary Hill.

          The family will be at the funeral home on Sunday afternoon from 2-4 to visit with relatives & friends.

4 comments:

Mrs. Westfall said...

Thank you for your dedication to young people, Mrs. Harris. You always called me by name when I saw you around town, even after 40+ years. Teachers like you are the reason I became a teacher myself.
Belinda

CJ said...

Sorry to hear about Christine. We lost daddy, Bill Horne, on Thursday. We send all of our love...Namesake: Christine Ann Horne Jones

Anonymous said...

So sad to hear about Mrs Harris. I often thought of her, after she and her family moved to Oklahoma from Odessa, Texas.
She was a great Teacher and a “second Mom to all of her students”. May she rest in peace.

Anonymous said...

I loved Mrs Christine Harris. She was my 5th Grade teacher at Lamar Elementary in Odessa TX in 1960-61. She was one of the best & most kindest teachers I ever had as a kid. She Always made me feel special!! I loved her!! I was from a family of 5 girls, being one of the older ones in my family, she realized I was mature enough to help & brought out the best in me. I was a good academic student & she made always made me special!! I remember the summer after my 5th grade year, staying with her & her family in their home. Mark, her baby was born with hydro encephalitis and took some special care!! I think he was about 3 that summer. I t seems he passed away that next year, as that was before shunts & treating his condition. She also two older boys who I remember being really cute little boys who were full of life, I remember playing games with them.. I stayed with her family about a week, which was great to me because I loved being around her. I remember her & Mrs Blanchard, also my 4th grade teacher taking me, the boys, & Mrs Blanchard’s girls swimming, at out local public pool several times, that week. I helped her some with Mark, feeding etc as I had little sisters close to his age. Her husband Sam was so nice too & was so good with his boys. They were a sweet family!! She also taught my younger sister Becky who was 4 yrs younger than me. She and my Mom were born the same year & the age. I always felt they had a connection, & my Mom thought I could be a little help for her that summer. They were both good Christian women who loved kids & spent their lives in service to the good Lord. I will never that year with her as my teacher or forget that summer I spent wit her & her family. We had a connection I guess that not all students have with their teachers!! She was a beautiful soul!! I know her family & loved ones are missing her. I can sure relate lost my sweet Mom in 2014. May God be with all of you bless you with your many wonderful memories!!