Monday, July 8, 2013

Martha Lewis Kidd



 Martha Lewis Kidd

On July 6, 2013 the Kidd family lost their mother, grandmother, great grandmother and inspiration.  Martha Lewis Kidd ,98, was born June 14, 1915 in Ft. Smith Arkansas to Nanie Belle Southard Lewis and Herschel V. Lewis.  She grew up in Poteau, Tulsa, and graduated from High School in Oklahoma City in 1933.  In September 1941 she married James P. Kidd in Los Angeles, CA.  The couple celebrated almost 69 years of marriage until Jim's death in 2010.  Most of those years were spent in their beloved Poteau where they published The Poteau News and the Leflore County Sun until 1982.  They moved to the Tulsa and  Broken Arrow area in 2004 to be nearer family.  Martha was preceded in death by her mother and father, H. V. and Nanie Belle Lewis, her brothers Dean Wilber Lewis and Victor Hardy  Lewis, one son William Lewis Kidd and her husband James P. Kidd.  She is survived by two sons, James P. Kidd II, Ralph Victor Kidd, and one daughter, Martha Kidd Blakestad.  She is also survived by 9 grandchildren, and 14 great grandchildren.  Pallbearers will be sons, grandsons, and sons-in-law. Services are set for Wednesday 2 am, July 10 at Poteau's First United Methodist Church with Rev. Kyle Clark officiating. Interment will follow at Oakland Cemetery.




You may leave an online message at evansandmillerfuneralhomes.com



The family has chosen to entrust the care of the services to
Evans & Miller Funeral Home, Poteau, OK

2 comments:

John David said...

My deepest condolences to the Kidd Family. May Mrs. Kidd rest in peace. I was pleased to have her influence me while growing up in Poteau with her sons. It's appropriate for her to be remembered in the church where she attended regularly with her family.

John David
McLean, Virginia

Claudia Dew said...

I met Martha and husband Jim nearly 30 years ago when they visited Tallahassee, FL. I fell in love with this delightful couple. Some 25 years ago, we began exchanging Christmas cards. She would write the loveliest of notes to me,and shared that she had saved EVERY PICTURE of my family that I sent in our annual exchange! For the last several years, I would wonder if I would hear from her.....and always breathed a prayer of thanksgiving to open the mailbox and see her aging handwriting on a Christmas card for my family. This year was no different, and I eagerly awaited the arrival of this year's installment. Sadly, there were no Christmas greetings from Martha. Thanks to modern technology, I located this obituary for my long-time friend (and surrogate mother). Thank you for sharing her with me for all these years. What a beautiful spirit she had. I am so very thankful that I,too,have saved every Christmas card from her all these years! They are precious to me. My sympathy to the family for your loss. - Claudia Dew