Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Joan McCarty Dunn

Joan McCarty Dunn, 90, of Ft. Smith, AR (formerly of Poteau, OK) died peacefully on Monday, July 4, 2011. She was born in Durant, OK on July 14, 1920 to James A. & Agnes Floyd McCarty. Joan was a member of the First Christian Church in Poteau and served many years as a deaconess. She was a graduate of Southeastern State College, a member of Sigma Kappa social sorority, Kappa Delta Pi & Cardinal Key, scholastic fraternities. She was named in Who’s Who in American Colleges and Universities and was a charter member of the Durant Junior Service League. After college, she married her husband, Eugene V. Dunn. The couple were married for 65 years. Joan was a teacher in the Heavener School system until the family moved to Poteau in 1952. There the Dunns established and operated The Credit Bureau of LeFlore County and Robber’s Cave Recreation. She was an avid bridge player, an accomplished horse woman, and active in civic affairs. She was a member of the LeFlore County Historical Society, 20th Century Study Club, and charter member of Chapter GD in P.E.O. She was preceded in death by her husband and grandson, Jay Shadwick. Survivors include two daughters & sons-in-law, Jackie & August Khilling of Ft. Smith, AR, Jana & Brad Randall of Ft. Smith, AR, one son & daughter-in-law, Dr. James E. & Charlene Dunn of Poteau, OK, granddaughter, Caroline Dunn of Poteau, OK; other extended family members and many beloved friends. Services will be held at 11 am, on Friday, July 8, 2011 in the First Christian Church in Poteau with Dennis Jones officiating. Visitation will follow in the fellowship hall. Interment in Oakland Cemetery, Poteau. Honorary pallbearers will be Steve Holton, Sam Gentry, Ron Hall, Mark Bovos, Larry Bohannon, Jerry Kemp, Tom Cherry III, and Gary Ben (Dusty) Klutts.

2 comments:

Peggy S. Baxter said...

Jackie & Jana: July 7th..just read about your mother in the paper. So sorry yet, glad she went peacefully
Your dad was a good friend to my grand-dad and both knew my mother. They gave me my first job at the Bureau when I was in high school. One day I was very sick and Joan took me to her home and put me to bed with a "hot toddy" It did not set well on my stomach and I threw up on her floor. So-o embarassed!! She just laughed & laughed..telling
me "it was OK and I should feel better now." Physically, I did and soon went to sleep! ALL day!! I loved to hear her laugh. We had the love of horses in common and loved to hear her stories. She & Gene taught me a lot about business and life in general. They tried very hard to send me to business school and come back to the Bureau. However, my mother had teaching on her mind for me. Later, there were many times I wished I had followed their request because I loved working with them and the type of work. We are leaving early in the A.M. & will be out of town. So sorry to miss the services & miss seeing you. Please accept my sincere sympathy & love...Sincerely Peggy S.(Goins) Baxter

Nancy Hiler said...

Jana,

"Those we love don't go away,
They walk beside us every day,
Unseen, unheard, but always near,
Still loved, still missed and very dear."

I am so sorry for your loss. Wish I could have been at the service to give you a hug. Love you, Nancy Hiler