Thursday, May 30, 2019

Ruth Horton


Ruth Waynette Horton, 102, of Poteau, OK passed away Thursday, May 30, 2019 in Poteau.  Ruth was born August 4, 1916, in Mansfield, AR to James E. & Roma (Taylor) Patterson.  Ruth was a teacher for many years having taught in Poteau Schools, Gary, Indiana & Carl Albert State College. Ruth was a longtime member of  First Baptist Church in Poteau.   She was preceded in death by her parents; husband, E. Minor Horton; sister,  Orpha Patterson Hill & brother in law, Delbert Hill; and her special dog, Missy.

She is survived by her caregivers, Bradley & Kristi Hill, Pat Hall, Kayla Benefield, Loretta Price & Mary Lou Ellenburg; other relatives & loved ones.

Services will be 10 am, Saturday, June 1, 2019 at First Baptist Church, Poteau, OK with Bradley Hill officiating.  Interment will follow in Oakland Cemetery.  Pallbearers will be  Brad Hill, Chad Jackson,  Robert Rockman, Jerry Castillo, Truman Hill, Jim Marsh

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ruth was my mother's college roommate at East Central State College in Ada in the late thirties. That association began a lifelong friendship that extended to me and my siblings. The wonderful memories I have of fun, good talk, laughter, delicious food and loving warmth from Ruth and Minor, Mildred and Stanley and, of course, my mother and father will bring me joy the rest of my days. - Susan Mueller

Unknown said...

Mrs Horton was my favorite teacher ever! She introduced me
to the world of literature (Evangeline, Christmas Carol). Mrs. Horton read the books to her classes. She would drop little jewels of encouragement to me at different times. Mrs. Horton made a difference, a positive difference, in my life that is still with me today.

Unknown said...

Miss Horton was a very sweet woman she will be dearly missed