Thursday, April 11, 2019

Opal "Polly" Harper


Opal Pauline “Polly” Harper, 97, of  Poteau, OK  passed away Wednesday, April 10, 2019 in Ft. Smith, AR.  Polly was born January 17, 1922 in Poteau, OK to E.E. “Bo” & Reca (Webster) Barnes.  She was preceded in death by her husband, Percy “Tag” Harper; sister, Wilma Brown; nephew, Don Ed Self & her parents.

          Survivors include her daughter, Barbara Van Cleave of Ft. Smith, AR; sister in law, Alice Myers; several nieces & nephews; other loved ones.

          Graveside services will be 2 pm, Tuesday, April 16, 2019 at Oakland Cemetery Pavilion with Rev. Phil McGehee.  The family would like to thank the staff at Fianna Hills Nursing & Rehab & Mercy Hospice.  Donations may be made to First Baptist Church or the Poteau Valley Humane Society.

          There will be no visitation.

3 comments:

Kathleen Stephens said...

Sorry to hear about the passing of Mrs. Harper. She was very important in my early Christian walk. I was in my 30"s before getting saved and Baptized. Mr. McGehee said for me to go to the Tuesday morning Bible study that some of the older ladies at church were having. Mr. McGehee said that those ladies would help me and they did, more than they know. I am greatful to each and every one of them. Mrs. Harper was one of them. She always sat but me. She used to tell a story from when she was 3 years old. In Sunday school class at the church. She was crying and the teacher could not comfort her, so they got her mother to come up. When her mother asked her why she was crying, she told her that those ladies took her pennies. Apparently her mother had gave her some pennies for the Sunday school offering and she thought that they were for her not the offering. Such a Sweet lady I am so glad that I've got to know.

Alice L. Myers said...

"Polly" was one of the sweetest, most lovable sister-in-laws a person could have! She married my brother, Percy (Tag), when I was still a teenager and lived near us when their one and only child, Barbara Kay, was born. To me, she was like a blood-kin sister. Any time I would visit her and Tag, she would cook a real delicious meal. I loved being with her, Tag, and Barb. Polly never talked much when the family would gather together but would just sit and listen to us Harpers who talked constantly. She probably would have had a hard time getting her words in edgewise so just did not talk! The entire family loved her and so happy our brother married such a pretty and adorable young lady. I miss her but thank God she was a real born-again Christian so plan to see her again one day!!! Loved you, sister Polly!!!!! Alice LaRue

Monica Miller said...

Polly was one of the sweetest, most gentle souls. Caring for her at Fianna was a privilege. I recall once during a facility event I brought my 4 year old grandson and he and Polly took a liking to each other. I looked over and he was sitting next to her and she was just talking away, they carried on quite a conversation and he just sat and patted her hand. He is 6 now but every time I work he asks how Miss Polly is. When I told him she had passed on to Heaven he just smiled and said "that's good, she will like it there. But we will miss her." That's what we all should rejoice in. My prayers are with Barbara and all who were touched by this special lady.